Re: Bug #164774

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Michael J. Hammel<mjhammel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 17:50 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:>> I think it's reasonable to pair rulers and guides, and would certainly>> want to keep the ability to drag a guide from a ruler.>>>> However, if there were an alternate method I might use it as well ->> something like press a key, the mouse is now dragging a guide, click>> on the window and get a new guide.  Maybe some sort of modifier to>> toggle/go horizontal/vertical?  Seems like part of the code would>> already be there in the 'New Guide' menu item, but have not looked...>> This is actually the point I'm trying to make.  How is any key/mouse> combination going to be any more intuitive/less complex than dragging> from a ruler?  Decoupling adds complexity (at a minimum forcing users to> learn a new process, but probably worse than that) for the sake of> cleanliness (re: being able to hide the rulers), but I don't think the> trade offs are worth it.
Well, I don't think so either.  I find the method of dragging from theruler to be quite intuitive already.  Then again, I was trained sincePS 2.0 (or thereabouts) that guides come from rulers - so I might bebiased ;)  But if ui team is determined to find a way to add guidesw/o rulers, then a kb shortcut is the way I'd go - that's all I had tosay :)