Re: debugging and print messages in PyGimp for windows

So, the --verbose option definitely pops up a dos-looking window and prints lots of GIMP related messages, but it doesn't seem to get error messages from Python.  I just accidentally tested this with a syntax error in a module of mine that my PyGIMP plugins import.  In linux I get this very helpful message:

ryan@am2|07:02 AM|09_02_09$ gimp
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ryan/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/pygimp_lecture_utils.py", line 1, in <module>
    import os, rwkos, rwkmisc, re, time
  File "/home/ryan/git/krauss_misc/rwkos.py", line 9
    if not amiLinux()
                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

(gimp:17913): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error

and I can fix that in 30 seconds or so (it is a stupid syntax error on my part, missing the trailing colon).

But in windows, I see no message related to it at all.  The only indicator of a problem is that none of my PyGIMP plugins show up in the menus at all (none of them can register themselves because they all import this module).  No idea how long it would take me to find the exact line that caused the problem if I didn't try it in Linux.

Is there an easy solution to this?  How do I get standard error messages from Python to display in Windows XP?

Thanks,

Ryan

2009/9/1 Jernej Simončič <jernej@xxxxxx>
On Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 18:16:48, Ryan Krauss wrote:

> So, I have PyGIMP correctly installed in windows (I think).  I am trying to
> port my plug-ins from Linux.  One big annoyance is that print doesn't seem
> to work and error messages that probably go to standard out go no where.  I
> really need those messages to debug.  I tried launching gimp from the
> command line.  Is there some other way?  Where to standard out and standard
> error messages go on windows?

Nowhere, by default. Run gimp-2.6.exe --verbose to get a console,
which should also receive output from plugins.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

In the fight between you and the world, back the world.
      -- Kafka's Law