Re: Gimp printing future direction

Robert Krawitz wrote:
>    Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:26:55 -0500
>    From: Erik Lotspeich <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>    Thank you for the perspective.  It seems that the printing part of Gimp
>    is a second-class citizen that doesn't have the refinement of the rest
>    of Gimp.
>
>    I have always seen Gimp as a Photoshop competitor, so I'm thinking what
>    if my mother-in-law (or any other non-expert computer user) were using
>    Gimp.  Would she be able to print?  Would she use it instead of buying
>    Photoshop?  I would like that answer to be yes.
>
>    Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>    >> I have tried all possible permutations of paper size between Gimp and the
>    >> Windows driver.  Since this setup works great for all other applications
>    >> (e.g. Word, IE, Firefox, etc.), I don't see how the problem could lie
>    >> anywhere else than Gimp.
>    >
>    > (The problem is in  GTK+ more likely, but that GTK+ is technically
>    > separate is mostly irrelevant to end-users.)
>    >
>    > Yes, it is well known that GTK+ printing (and thus GIMP printing) on
>    > Windows doesn't really work that well. My advice is always to use some
>    > other application to print images then instead, if GIMP isn't up to
>    > it. Opening an image file in another app and printing from there
>    > shouldn't take more than five seconds extra.
>    >
>    > In fact, I would even recommend that, if the situation really is as
>    > bad as it seems to be, the print plug-in is made optional (and not
>    > selected by default) in the GIMP installer for Windows...
>    >
>    > Sure, it would be nice if somebody fixed the problems. Volunteers welcome.
>
> What might be really nice is if PhotoPrint could be used as a print
> plugin for GIMP -- it supports everything in Gutenprint except curves,
> and the UI is much nicer in many ways than the Gutenprint plugin
> (which I've had to maintain over the years, and I'm not exactly much
> good at user interfaces).

Don't be too hard on yourself . I found Gutenprint interface allows a
good degree of control and is pretty easy to use despite the complexity
of what it offers.

It may not be a work of art , but in terms of user interaction I would
say you does a very good job.

Sadly, many other projects are run people often very competent at coding
but with little understanding of interface design. Equally unfortunate
is the impression some of this group have that being able to code puts
you at the right hand of God, from where you can look down with disdain
on mere mortals who may in fact have a better grasp of human interaction
design.

  You seem to be one of those rare people who are able to bridge the gap
between code and UI. Thanks for all your efforts on Gutenprint.

Best regards.