Re: Gimp printing future direction

Hi,

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 09:03 -0500, Erik Lotspeich wrote:

> I posted a detailed report of the issues that I was having to the
> gimp-user mailing list.  The response from everyone was that it was
> common knowledge that native Gimp printing was problematic and to use
> Gutenprint.  Not a single person disagreed with me when I concluded that
> the native Gimp printing was broken and unusable.

The fact is that the Gutenprint plug-in is too hard to set up and too
hard to use for the majority of GIMP users. Many of our users are
actually very happy that GIMP finally ships with a Print plug-in that
just works. Those that expect for more fine-grained control over the
output can install the Gutenprint plug-in easily and they will most
likely also succeed in setting it up properly.

> My wife has Gimp on Windows Vista.  Windows allows printer drivers, such
> as the one for our HP OfficeJet 6110 to set parameters like paper size,
> orientation, etc.  The Gimp native printing also allows these options to
> be set.  This creates a conflict.  After many dozens of wasted sheets of
> photo paper, I concluded that Gimp's native printing does not work on
> Windows (at least for my printer) at all -- no setting results in the
> desired output.

That is simply because there's hardly any contributions from the Windows
community. There are lots of bug reports about problems with GTK+ print
on Windows. But there's no active development on these issues. Still,
the plug-in seems to work for a majority of users.

>   My printer accepts photo paper lengthwise on the
> right-hand side of the printer.  With Gimp on Windows -- even when the
> printer driver and Gimp's paper size and orientation are matched --
> printer prints in the center of the carriage and in landscape mode.  I
> have tried all possible permutations of paper size between Gimp and the
> Windows driver.  Since this setup works great for all other applications
> (e.g. Word, IE, Firefox, etc.), I don't see how the problem could lie
> anywhere else than Gimp.

It is in GTK+, not in GIMP. You are complaining to the wrong people. We
are just using the portable Print API and expect things to work on all
platforms. If that is not the case, then someone needs to fix the
platform-specific code in the print backend in GTK+.

> Additionally, on my Linux computer, I also had problems.  You can see my
> post on gimp-user for reference (or I could re-post here).  The most
> serious problem is that it wouldn't allow me to set the dimensions (the
> were stuck at 1.5in x 1.5in) at all and the dpi was stuck at 1500.
> Neither the dimentions or the dpi could be changed making it impossible
> for me to print anything but a small square in the image.

That sounds like a bug. These things certainly work for me.

Sven