Re: cant save image with new comment

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 00:06 +0200, gg wrote:
> Martin Nordholts wrote:
[...]
> I think not saving has merit for large files (especially long png
> compression) on condition this is clearly put to the user.

As Sven said, there are separate issues -
(1) gimp doesn't always know the user's intention.  Better to save
    asked to do so.
(2) changing the comment should mark the image as dirty, of course
(3) if for some reason the user presses save and nothing happens, a
    clear message is needed.  Making "save" insensitive is OK too I
    think, and is what most other programs do in this case. But, if
    GIMP is primarily catering to the "power user", it should go
    ahead and save, and not try to out-guess anyone.

The changes to file save/export help in some ways, and not in
others: it's now necessary for the user to keep track of three
separate images and their state -- the "precious original", the
image in gimp, and the file to which you're exporting the result
of your work so you can use it.  I'd really like to see an indication
in the undo history (even though it's not an undoable step) of when
you saved or exported, and where.  Making the status easier to see
would reduce the chance a "power user" accidentally tries to save
an unchanged image and has to wait.

Liam

PS: in case it wasn't clear, I'm not accusing anyone of trying to
hide anything :-)