Re: to render or not to render - Composition rendering time instance

hi,

Danko Dolch schrieb:
> Oh interesting topic!
>
> To decide for a good "composition rendering strategy" I would suggest to
> take a look at some verry similar applications like motion compositig
> software.

very interesting input, indeed!

> IMHO "to render" is exactly the word describing whats going on here.

true enough. For GIMP, though, graph-based compositing is only a back-end
technology. The details should not show up in the UI unless absolutely
necessary.

(This doesn't rule out that a plugin could offer full tree editing
and a corresponding "render" command...)

> Toxic is strictly tile based and distributes the rendering of the
> composition to all available CPU cores. To further increase speed a
> large disc cache computes all the nodes of a composition and stores it
> automatically to it's disc cache to create a display preview or render a
> composition.

this is quite exactly what i understand what GEGL does (i'm not a devel)
... unless you're picky about every node being cached ;)

> --> Another great thing with Toxik as also with combustion is a small
> "Feedback" checkbox in the UI that ensures that the  compositing graph
> isn't  computed with  a  given resolution and a given quality but in a
> given timeframe of some ms - to get a unblocked response to user changes
> - Great Thing by the way!!

that's also a very interesting approach for dealing with slow filters:
render a small area of the screen in full resolution and fill the
rest of the screen with an interpolated low-resolution result.

I will post that to the brainstorm so it doesn't get forgotten.

greetings,
peter