sensitive actions (Hacking GIMP)

Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out which menu items are sensitive. It looks to me as though this property is usually changed when the ui manager updates the actions groups which updates the actions. I'm adding some additional items to the toolbox (as a test, I'm adding some layer actions). At the time of the toolbox initialization, the actions that i'm adding are all sensitive. The menu items that correspond to these are not sensitive when i view them and there doesn't appear to be any calls to the layer actions update function after I've initialized the toolbox. Could someone tell me how the "sensitive" property is decided initially for menu items if not by the action's "sensitive" property?  Also could someone tell me how actions and menu items are related? Hopefully my questions are clear enough.

Thanks,
Jordan