Re: open/save/export

Simon wrote:

>> it is ironic that this tripped you up, because we spent soooo much
>> time optimising this for that other substantial group that insists
>> to really under all circumstances export back the xcf they have
>> in their window (it is never a jpg or png...) to the original file.
>
> The spec has the reasoning "A much better reason for optimising are
> situations where high-end GIMP users have to do some quick touch-ups
> on
> graphic files for mates or clients, and send them back."
>
> This is a Workflow, where I don't see a xcf-file (in the file system)
> involved at all,

it is in the main window

> i.e. the artist imports a PNG, does some touchups,
> exports back to the same file and quits Gimp/closes the image, not
> caring about not having saved his work.

and that is how it works.

> Liams workflow had a step in it, where he conciously changed the
> perceived "identity" of the image he is working on, by *changing* the
> suggested filename. To me it would be reasonable to assume, that he
> did
> this to protect his original file.

that is too much extrapolation from the use-case. the only thing we
can conclude in general from saving a new file is that users want
to keep this GIMP composition (that they see in the window) for future
use,
and that they gave it a identity. We (traditionally) reflect both.

> (A kind of related irk for me is btw., that an image imported from a
> flat
> file format is "Untitled" and has the same naming state as a blank
> slate
> created with File->New. It feels like throwing away information. It
> is a
> bit unfortunate, that the "Title" is basically the same as the
> filename,
> inkluding extensions. If we would change this to use e.g. the basename
> with stripped extensions it would be natural to have - after importing
> "typewriter.jpg" - a title of "typewriter", which results in the
> default
> suggestion of "typewriter.xcf" for saving and exporting (back) to
> "typewriter.jpg")

as you can see in the spec, the information is not thrown away for
saving and exporting. the information is in the title:

"Untitled (imported from typewriter.jpg)"

specced but still to be implemented is DRC's excellent contribution
to label the first layer where the imported image sits also
"typewriter.jpg" instead of Background.

what we really must avoid is the old confusion that users think
that what they see in the window is just the jpg. it is not,
else there would be no possibility to add a layer, a path, etc.

> Upon saving as "funky-keys.xcf" - i.e. a conscious change of the
> title -
> the default export-filename-suggestion could change to "funky-
> keys.jpg"
> (Format derived from the originally imported file).

we can only do no-dialog-save and no-dialog-export to a user-known
combination of directory, filename and file type.
the cases where this works are in the current spec. the 'Export to'
destination is updated after an Export... it is not up to GIMP
to provide guesswork export destinations (what directory? of the
opened jpg or the save xcf?).

     --ps

             man + machine interface works