Re: open/save/export

Martin Nordholts wrote:
> Hi
>
> Liam R E Quin wrote:
>> Consider
>>
>> (1) open typewriter.jpg that came in from my camera
>> (2) do some fun editing
>> (3) save-as to go to typewriter2.xcf.gz
>>

> So far so good.
>
>> (4) now I want to make a jpeg so other programs can use the file, so I
>>     can upload it on the Web, etc.  Aha! there's File->Export to
>>     typewriter.jpg,right there in the file menu.  I do this, not
>>     noticing that it's using the OLD filename,and the file is
>>     overwritten with no confirmation.  Because jpeg is lossy, I can't
>>     now get back the original (actually it was backed up)
>>

> The purpose of that menu entry is to allow quick touchups of photos. You
> open e.g. a jpg, do some change, then export back to the original file.
> It wouldn't make sense to ask for overwrite confirmation. But we should
> look into how to minimize the risk of accidental usage since I would say
> the data loss you describe is severe.

So there is a problem between what the "purpose" was intended to be and
the way it is seem by the user who does not know this intended purpose.
That would seem to be a clear design flaw and an assumption that the
user knows what the designer intended.

>> OK, let's suppose I learned my lesson and change to
>> (4) use file->Export.
>>     GIMP has forgotten my new filename (typewriter2.jpg)
>
> The filename of the original file has higher priority than the filename
> of the last saved XCF when exporting, so we'll need to change the spec
> here if we don't want the current behaviour.

Then I think the spec needs rewriting. It is clearly illogical for the
user to select save as jpg and get a default filename that is not jpeg.
This idea of priority may need re-examining or just that the priority
here is not the correct one.