Re: HSL Color Picker

On Sunday 31 May 2009 05:36:00 pm Øyvind Kolås wrote:
snip
> The colors selected in this manner will likely be used in a different
> color space than the one they are selected in anyways. This means that
> undefined regions of the colorspace and computational complexity are
> only a concern of the color picker interface. CIE Lch is another
> options that can be considered. I haven't studied it but suspect that
> the current computation of Lightness has crude 8bit/gamma assumptions
> in it.
>
> /Øyvind K.

In addition CIE L*c*h* is device independent which would allow the color
picker to be color managed (IE. CIE L*c*h* -> monitor device colors) and it
would also allow for the "picked" colors to be converted into the correct
color space for the image being edited.   I think this is an important
consideration.

L* is the same as L* in CIE L*a*b* and is linear with values between 0.0 for
black and 100.0 for diffuse white but higher values are allowed for spectral
whites.

Hal