Re: [wish] center on focused area on zoom out

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 22:10, Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@xxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 15 May 2009 22:02:53 Sven Neumann wrote:

>> > Well, it would be consistent if gimp consistently kept this
>> > pixel-cursor relation. But it is not (gimp 2.6.6). Open any image
>> > smaller than window, point out on anything not in center. Zoom
>> > in. Voila, you are pointing at something else now, because gimp
>> > does not shift view of the image.
>>
>> We had it implemented that way, but it caused too much other
>> problems.
>
> I just commented to your "zooming in and out _is_ consistent". It is
> not. The reason why it is not is another story. Thank you for the
> reference of course.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire, I just wanted to point out that
Sven is not alone in his opinion. Yes you're right, if you zoom out
far enough, so that the image is smaller than your viewing window,
this behavior no longer applies. However, I frequently find myself
zooming out briefly to see how it works in context, just to zoom back
in again a split-second later (very rarely zooming far enough to have
the image become smaller than the window). If I do zoom out to see the
whole image, I'm usually done with that section anyway, and at that
point it's actually a good behavior (call it a compromise if you wish,
for me it just speeds up the workflow).

Google maps is one of those that zoom in and out on the cursor,
imagine it being some other way (and yes, there are some maps-services
doing it differently, primary reason for me not using them even if
they sometimes have better source material).

>> http://gui.gimp.org/  Of course we are open to improves these
>> specifications further. But your proposals should be made after
>> understanding the reasons for the current behavior.
>
> You are right, thank you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> PS. I _am_ subscriber to this ML :-) No need to CC me.

OK! :)

Just my two cents...
Greetings,
Fredrik.