mapping Wacom Bamboo buttons to GIMP functions

I've googled for this and found next to nothing.  I also tried to read
through the code but it's not clear to me what's supposed to happen. I
get the feeling few people have tried to go this far with the tablets.

How do you use the Configure Extended Input Devices dialog?  The Bamboo
is recognized by xorg without any xorg.conf settings, but you have to
add some stuff to get the pad and eraser to be seen.  That much appears
to be working.  I can see the X events with xev for the four buttons and
circular pad.  BTW, the drawing area on the Bamboo and the stylus work
just fine - pressure works great and the tool respond as expected.  But
just for the stylus and drawing area.  I'm now trying to figure out how
to get the eraser, extra buttons and circular pad to do something
useful.

In the Configure Input Devices dialog I select a device, say the Eraser.
I set the Mode to either Window or Screen.  The purpose of the Axes tab
is not clear.  There is a mapping of available axis' to a number, but
there isn't anything that says what these numbers are for.

The keys tab would appear to be what I use to map the X buttons (what
xev says the button is reported as) to keyboard shortcuts in GIMP.  So,
on the bamboo the buttons are arranged in a square around a circular
pad.  The upper left button maps to X Button 9, lower left button to 10,
upper right to 11 and lower right to 12.  The circular pad generates
events and acts like a scroll wheel in the Configure Input Devices
window.

Setting "Shift-E" for key 9 seems like it would map the Eraser to the
upper left button.  But that doesn't happen.  Setting any keystroke
combination in the keys fields doesn't seem to do anything.  Every time
I hit a button it seems to do the same thing (go back to a particular
brush).

Trying to scroll in the GIMP image window (when zoomed in) with the
circular pad doesn't do anything either.

And the Eraser Device is just mapped as another tool, essentially acting
like a second stylus.

I've discovered that the stylus and eraser remember the last tool they
were used as - if I'm using the Eraser device and choose the Eraser
tool, then switch to the stylus (as a paintbrush, for example) and then
switch back to the Erase device I'm back to the GIMP Eraser.  Is this
the intended action for these devices - just remember the last tool they
were used as?

Also, what are the Axes and Keys mapping for me?  What do the Axes
numbers mean and what do the numbered keys map to?

FYI, here are the relevant portions of my xorg.conf settings:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
    InputDevice     "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice     "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice     "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice     "pad"       "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Identifier  "stylus"
    Option      "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option      "Type"      "stylus"
    Option      "USB"       "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Identifier  "eraser"
    Option      "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option      "Type"      "eraser"
    Option      "USB"       "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Identifier  "cursor"
    Option      "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option      "Type"      "cursor"
    Option      "USB"       "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Identifier  "pad"
    Option      "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option      "Type"      "pad"
    Option      "USB"       "on"
EndSection

--