Fwd: Advanced brush dynamics GUI proposal #2

Sending this again since i don't see in on the mailing list for some reason (moderation queue perhaps?)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dread Knight <dk.vali@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:36 PM
Subject: Advanced brush dynamics GUI proposal #2
To: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello gimps!
I'm know in the various parts of the internet as Dread Knight, my real name is Valentin Anastase and I'm from Romania, last year in college, management topic.
I graduated mathematics-informatics high-school but I'm not really a coder.
I have worked as a 3d interior designer in the past for 2 companies, I'm a freelancer artist and a game developer, almost have my name on a soon to be published commercial game for the Nintendo DS, my role in the team being of 3d lead character artist.
I'm using linux/Ubuntu since about feisty, converted to open source and linux, i am an open source advocate. I have a lot of experience when it comes to graphics/animation, game development and GUI design, which i spend most of my day working on; know to use most of the graphics/animation packages out there, either open source or commercial.
I'm helping out various open source projects with graphics and usability/designs. I'm up to date with everything that happens in the open source world and given enough time I'll post mock-ups for GNOME/KDE related applications on regular basis on my blog.
I have founded a non-profit organization a while ago with help from some of my buddies and in spare time we're working on 2 open source game projects using open source tools and free services mainly. This is our take in making linux a better 'place' as well as to advocate the open source tools we use in our pipeline (blender, gimp, inkscape etc) in real scale projects and improve them.

I think the GUI for brush dynamics is one of the most important projects for gimp, since the people who can make the most eye candy stuff with gimp are digital artists who make master pieces from scratch and for sure use a graphic tablet or a tablet pc, so pressure sensitivity plays an important role to them.
More eye candy stuff made with gimp and posted accross some of the biggest art communities such as deviantart = more interest into gimp, more people suing it, more support and resources and more developers working on it. Simple as that.

I can guarantee you fellow gimps i can come up with outstanding mock-up designs that are not only easy and intuitive to use, but also fun. Already have a couple of ideas in mind. What i can't guarantee is that i can code the GUI myself, but i'm sure willing to try that if the mentor will have enough pacience/dedication.
Most projects usually have awesome backends, but when it comes to GUI design/usability, they lack a lot in the eyes of the average users that use commercial applications downloaded off warez sites. I am looking forward to changing that.

My plan-of-action will be:

- make indept analysis of how the most popular graphical packages approach brush dynamics and figure out pros and cons (1 week)
- try new different approaches that are in theme with the future of Gimp's GUI and realistical regarding what the GTK+ toolkit is capable of (2 weeks)
- decide on the GUI design to implement and try hard to code it (?)  (5 weeks)

Always wondered how it's to code : )
My IRC name is DreadKnight, you can find me on freenode (#AncientBeast) and gimp servers (#Gimp)

Best regards,
Vali