GIMP performance

Hi all,

I'm a photo amateur, and I do like gimp. I posted some time ago some
hints to make gimp more useful for photo retouch, and some have been
done in 2.6.

At this time, gimp seems to me that need speed. It is far away from
Photoshop and other commercial softwares, and things are getting worse
using GEGL (as I tried in 2.7 development program): I checked in Windows
and in Ubuntu 8.10, AMD 3000+/64 plus 1GB RAM.

When I use curves, preview is redrawed very slowly, I can see the
"blocks" under updating.

I know that GIMP is open source, and developers don't want to compete
with Photoshop (or Photoshop Express, or Paint Shop PRO, ...), but this
is the real world in photo retouching. I just want to be honest, end to
emphasize this issue.

Many thanks a lot if you'll do something to increase performances.

--

Andrea Olivotto
http://www.andreaolivotto.com