Re: a good student UI project...

Quoting peter sikking <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> so now we need a design problem. the course is short but
> intense, 3 days with me full-time to work up a solutions model
> and then they take some days to finish their presentation.
>
> so now huge redesign problems, more something like a compact tool.
> (like the free/poly select tool), or a tricky interactive dialog
> (like, combined brightness/contrast + levels + curves).
>
> please post your suggestions what we could do.

A challenging problem that has not yet been addressed by GIMP's
interface is how to interactively stroke paths, and not merely just to
see the results simple stroking (thickness, color, dashing), but
actually provide some presently non-existent capability such as
tapering and perhaps even arrowheads.

This is a particularly tricky problem because, like the current Text
Tool, it requires both a dialog to choose certain settings as well as
some on-canvas handles to interact with rendering (I am thinking here
of control handles similar to the Paths Tool's, but that they affect
the rendering and not the path itself).

There is also a problem in that currently stroking a path works upon
an existing drawable, and honors several paramaters such as the
selection, layer modes, and paint tool options, whereas the Text Tool
avoids these issues by creating a new layer.

Personally, I think interactive path rendering to a new layer would be
worthwhile in and of itself (creation of tapered curves is sorely
missed by me), and would offer the advantage of permitting later
modification of that rendering, but it would mean a departure from the
current stroking behavior (which is a worthwhile capability not to be
abandoned).