Re: Dockable Dialogs Should be Dockable Everywhere

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:02:13PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 14:52 -0700, drizzt wrote:
>
> > Just think of the most used piece of code on a GNU/Linux system: the Linux
> > kernel. Didn't you know that the user interface is stable ?
> > How would you feel if between releases the behavior of interfaces changed,
> > and when asking the kernel developers you were told "just keep using the old
> > kernel you used to".
>
> Obviously you have no idea of what you are talking about here. The Linux
> kernel APIs are changing faster than anything else in the software
> world. If you had ever maintained a device driver outside the main
> kernel tree, you wouldn't have chosen the Linux kernel as an example of
> something that doesn't change its interface between releases. GIMP is
> very conservative compared to the Linux kernel. Our plug-in API has not
> seen an incompatible change for five years now.

  Still that narrow minded? You obviously didn't read the drizzt's post
at all! Drizzt was comparing the linux kernel _user_ interface with the
gimp's _user_ interface. As a matter of fact, I personnaly know drizzt
and an I can assure you he really knows what he is talking about
regarding kernel developping as he does exactly that for a living.

> You also probably do not realize how much work an optional change is.
> Every option that is added doubles the complexity of the code. It is
> already impossible for us to test all possible configurations that GIMP
> offers. If we tried to make major interface changes optional, the code
> would become completely unmaintainable very soon.

  Well, of course, everything could be better if more people would be
even allowed to work on gimp. But I guess this won't happen since even
confirmed former contributors aren't even allowed to commit trivial
patches without having to explain many times what these patches do, and
pass many many controls. You did everything to discourage people to
contribute, so now, please, don't tell people you need ressources to
maintain the whole mess.

    Cheers,

             DindinX

--