GSoC: Highlights/Shadow compression

Hi,

I'm Chandana Bandara, an undergraduate from Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka and I am very pleased to develop one of the projects Highlights-Shadow compression/Improve Foreground Selection Tool/Fractal Resizing described in GSoC 2009 Project Ideas page.

I have been using GIMP for more than 1 year and became very interested using it. Since GIMP is a FOSS tool, I have a desire to contribute and make it more useful and attractive for future users. Apart from that I am more keen to do graphical manipulation for an e.g. when I was in my grade 9-10 I wrote a car racing game using Quickbasic. There I used to capture texts as images and do mathematic operations (apply sin/cos operations) on them and show colorfully decorated ways.

Now I have a good knowledge in image processing such as various algorithms in scaling, enhancement, foreground removal, etc.. (by the module I have covered for Image processing in my 3rd year) and have a good knowledge in C and Java. Be honest I have never done GTK+ development but I have done little QT development about two years back. I am very sure that it will be not difficult to follow up the GTK tutorials and grab what is necessary out of it to do this project.

I highly appreciate if you can see the do-ability of these projects for me. Thank you.

Regards,
--
Chandana Bandara