Re: GIMP PDF export plugin

Hi,

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 09:47 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:

> I see two possible use cases:
>
> 1. Proofing artwork - you need to prepare a proof before going to
> press.  You send that proof to a client and they print it out and get
> a reasonable hard proof.
>
> 2. Submission to a printing company - you need to submit hi-res
> artwork to a printing company.
>
> For either case to be useful, the PDF export needs to at least
> support: CMYK color mode, ICC profiles, spot colors, trim marks, crop
> area, and bleed area.  Embedding or outlining (vector) fonts,
> registration marks, encryption, and downsampling of image/photo layers
> could possibly be useful.
>
> That being said, both use cases would only come about when setting up
> a full-color job (CMYK, etc.) - and it is very likely that the
> printing company would accept (and perhaps prefer) a hi-res raster
> format like TIFF, PNG, or JPEG.

Thanks a lot for your input. That was very useful.

So would you say that it makes more sense to spend time improving the
TIFF save plug-in or would it be a better idea to invest that
development into a powerful PDF export? My experience with TIFF is that
it is an extremely difficult format as most of the important features
are implemented as some sort of extension that is not part of the TIFF
6.0 specification. I would hope PDF to be better specified.

Sven