Re: A GSoC Purpose: Improve the Performance of SIOX

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> SIOX can by definition only extract things from a background if the
> foreground color is sufficiently different. After all that is how the
> algorithm decides what to separate. So what you suggest here sounds more
> like adding a different separation algorithm and not like improving
> SIOX. But of course I might just have misunderstood you.
>
> The SIOX tool has several areas where it is lacking. The most notable is
> that it does a binary separation. Either a pixel is foreground or it is
> background. This causes jaggy edges and makes it necessary to do manual
> post-processing on the selection. The SIOX team around Gerald has
> suggested several improvements that would help to improve this. Their
> papers describe a refinement brush that should be used on the selection
> boundary to improve the results. It would be nice if this could be added
> to the GIMP SIOX tool.

Thank you for your feedback. I have only read some papers about how
SIOX extract thing, and didn't sure the real lack point of SIOX. Your
suggestion is very helpful. :)

I didn't read the code of SIOX and GIMP yet, and be not sure if the
features in this page <http://www.siox.org/preview.html> has been
implemented in GIMP's current development version. If not, is it a
good a GSoC project of implementing these features? And I'm still not
sure if Gerald want to be a mentor in this GSoC Season.

BTW, I have idled on the IRC channel #gimp for days, where I'm glad if
anyone could give me suggestions, or just talk :)

Cheers,
Jenny