Re: SVG brushes

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:58 AM, David Gowers  wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Sven Neumann  wrote:
>> How useful are brush pipes (or image hoses) really? As far as I can see
>> their primary use is for simulating brush transformations. We can
>> already do that better on the fly.
> As Alexia said, animation; and irregular brushing, arbitrary/complex
> effects (eg making pressure correspond to darkening + gradient mapping
> (which is different from darkening a gradient mapped brush)); clever
> usage can make them quite effective for building textures, and the
> list goes on.

One of my primary use for Gimp these days is in making fantasy
cartography.  I use progressive bitmap  brushes (hose/tube/whatever)
an incredible amount, whether spraying down random trees, random
mountains, random grass textures, random buildings, creating complex
stipple patterns, and so on.

To be honest, this is one of the biggest questions from ps users that
I hear..."can I randomly paint from a set of pixmap brushes?" and the
standard response posted is no...try Gimp :)

-Rob A>