Re: GSOC Project-Fast Adaptive Resampler Tailored

On Mar 10, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Nicolas Robidoux wrote:

> Hello Rahul:
>
>> i m a student and interested in gsoc project:Fast Adaptive Resampler
>> Tailored For Transformations Which Mostly Downsample
>
>> I have read the requirements properly for this project which also
>> includes jacobian transformation,box filtering algorithm and
>> bilinear resampling.But i am having some problem in relating all
>> these in one algorithm. Please guide me.Also I would like to know
>> the status of this project progress.
>
> The >>programming<< for this project has not started. "No progress" is
> consequently a fair description.
>
> Computing jacobian information (for an arbitrary point transformation)
> approximately using finite differences is probably too ambitious. My
> current opinion is that this method should only be used when the point
> transformation "communicates" this information to the sampler. ...

Numerical Jacobian calculation is not so bad in terms of coding effort
--
you can use the method I implemented for PDL::Transform (available as
part

On the other hand, you will need to think a bit about the "Fast" part,
which
the PDL Jacobian-driven sampling is not -- mostly because of the need to
supply input and output filtering.  I did that by padding the singular
values
of the Jacobian to approximate the effect of convolving one-pixel-wide
input
and output filter kernels with the calculated sampling kernel.  That
requires
subjecting a matrix to singular value decomposition for every pixel -
there
is almost certainly a faster way to do it. For linear transformations
(where
the Jacobian is constant) the method is much faster.

Dodgson is a great reference (in Nicolas' email).  You might also like
read Ken Turkowski's nice overview of resampling theory:
http://www.worldserver.com/turk/computergraphics/ResamplingFilters.pdf

My own paper on the subject (in the context of image resampling for
scientific
applications) is here:
	http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2004SoPh..219....3D