Re: Dockable Dialogs Should be Dockable Everywhere

Heh, I almost forgot that I made that comment.

What I was trying to say was that tabs were a different topic than docking dialogues.  Besides, if it were up to me, every image could have a customised set-up for its tools and information windows to fit the need for of the task at hand, although I can already see a few logistical issues with that.

But concerning tabbed image windows, be sure to evaluate the usage of other tabbed apps before considering that the gimp should have them.  In your browser windows and text editors the majority of manipulation is part of the nature of the media; that is, your tools are in your work itself.  With images, you work with a number of different tools that are commonly accessed by ways outside of the image (in menu bars, tool box buttons, palette selectors, and various other dialogues) and putting those access points in different places would seriously cut down on ease of use (a big problem with multiple windows with multiple menu bars).  3D modelling and CADD programs (such as blender and autocad) can definitely provide a lot of guidance here due to their similar paradigms.  Note their success--like heavy reliance on keyboard short-cuts and (partially) homogeneous modes of interaction--but also their failings--steep learning curves and technical barriers to repetitive tasks.

Sorry if this was a bit long-winded and tangential, but I hope I clarified my original point

--MW