Re: 2.6 plugin menu changes

Quoting Alesh Slovak <alesh.slovak@xxxxxxxxx>:

> As a sidenote I was wondering why the screenshot plugin defines its menu
> entry as "<Image>/File/Create/Acquire", but the menu entry shows up as
> File->Create->Screenshot. Why is the extra "Acquire" there?

The "Acquire" portion of the Screenshot plug-in's menu registration
specifies the menu subgroup to which the command is added. These menu
subgroups (called "placeholders" in GIMP terminology) are typically
separated by the menu separator lines in the menu/submenu. Within a
placeholder's group, menu commands are dynamically sorted in
alphabetical order employing the current locale translation, but the
placeholder groups' menu positions are fixed relative to each other.

To my understanding, extensive documentation does not yet exist on
GIMP's placeholders, nor is their mechanism accessible through the
Procedural DataBase (i.e., you can't create new placeholder groups
from a plug-in). You can find out the existing placeholder groups by
grepping the XML source in the menus directory
(http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gimp/branches/gimp-2-6/menus/).

I imagine the GIMP developers would welcome contributions of further
documentation and PDB bindings for menu placeholders.