Re: Gimp on a Commercial CD-Rom ?

> > By the way, isn't it enough to publish it on the net? E.g. one could
> > provide a link to the gimp website for the original source, plus publish
> > their modification on their own website (or include only these parts on
> > the CD)?
>
> This is handled by the FAQ:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites

That text is just as fussy as the whole GPL license. It may be because
of my poor English, but even after reading it twice, I have no idea if
it is legal for example (assuming I made some extension to GIMP)
      * to sell a CD with my version of GIMP and provide the its source
        on my web-site.
      * to provide the source of my changes on my site, add a link to
        GIMP website without any agreement, but periodically check if
        gimp.org and the gimp project is alive, and publish the source
        on my site only if they are dead.

Am I against the low if I put a binary gimp package from debian.org on
my web page without doing the same with the source package?

Am I against the low if I make the /usr directory (where all the GLP
binaries are) of my debian linux server available through anonymous ftp?

Best regards,
Alpar