Re: Silent profile embedding.

Hi!!

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Guillermo Espertino
<gespertino@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
> I don't know if this can be considered as a bug, but I'd like to discuss
> some potential issues in the color profile embedding strategy.
> Currently (correct me if I'm wrong) the procedure for images without
> embedded profile is to silently embed the working RGB profile upon
> opening.
> This can be really problematic when the user has a sequence of images
> without profile (for instance a rendering from a 3D program) and want to
> retouch a couple of images.
> The result will be that the retouched images will have a profile and the
> others won't, and that can bring troubles when importing the image
> sequence into a color managed software.
> A simple way to avoid this would be to ask when an image without profile
> is opened, just like when an image with a different profile than the
> working profile is opened. A dialog could allow the user to choose
> wheter to keep the image unmanaged or embed the working profile.

It's a good idea, however this  particular way of doing it is not
practical -- because in many cases, the majority of images opened do
not have a profile. We need to find an approach that would not require
vast amounts of dialog interaction.

In any case, profiles are NOT automatically attached to images without
profiles, in my tests with PNGs. The reason you might assume they are,
is that GIMP automatically displays images which have no profile
attached, as if they had the working profile attached.

If your experiences don't match the above, perhaps the specific save
plugin in question does (wrongly) attach the working profile when
saving.

David