gimp-help-2: New From Visible

Hi,

I am not a developer, only a docwriter.
I browsed the Web, read the thread in the archive of this list: I
couldn't find answer to my questions about Layer/New From Visible.

The help pop-up tells "Create a new layer from what is visible in this
image".
What is "visible"?

I can imagine a canvas smaller than the image: the command builds a
layer with what is visible of this image.

But with two visible layers, the command builds a layer from these two
layers merged together.
Then, what is the difference with Image/Merge Visible Layers ?

In the archive thread, this command is proposed to somewhat simulate PS
Apply Image. But this merges two different images...

Please help me understanding this command.

Julien Hardelin