Re: [Patch] Less cluttered UI, on-demand showing of docking bars

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 12:38 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:

> In current GIMP the docking bars are always visible even though they are
> only useful when rearranging the GIMP UI. I have attached a fairly
> simple patch (you need latest trunk) that hides these by default and
> only shows them when a dockable-drag is started. They are hidden again
> when the dockable-drag is completed.
>
> For better understanding, look at this before- and after-patch-applied
> screenshot that shows a dock when GIMP has started:
> http://www.chromecode.com/temp/gimp-on-demand-docking-2009-01-03.png
>
> This is not a trivial UI change so I want to probe for comments on this
> list before possibly applying. Any objections to me applying it? Any
> suggestions for improvement?

I like this very much - it's much cleaner.

Now the "dockability" is advertised with a tool tip while hoovering over
the docking bar. How will the new version do this? How important is
this?

When a dockable-drag is started, the docking targets should be visible
prominently, not only the bar in it's current version. Perhaps even as a
bubbles floating on top of the targets.

Rolf Steinort

http://meetthegimp.org - Weekly videopodcast about GIMP