how to start?

Hi everybody - I'm sw developer "enthusiast" and would like to try put myhands on GIMP. I worked as C and C++ developer for several years, but mostlyon Windows (Unix only occasionally during my university time - and that'shistory folks). I'm working with GIMP for several years - just simpleediting stuff for my pictures.I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop and would like to give it try, but Icouldn’t find a way to start. I tried to read developer.gimp.org FAQ, but itis very short describing where to get source code, how to produce build,what build tool I need to use, how to check out files, how to producesubmission, what type of comment s the submission should have, where to getreview for my change and so one. I’m sure you guys know all this – and it isperhaps written somewhere.Thanks a lot, Jirka