Re: Higher-bit depth and plug-in filters.

Hi,
On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 11:05 +0000, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> What needs to be done is to get rid of, or stop relying on all the> existing GIMP plug-ins that change image data (the ones changing image> structure by rearranging layers, layer masks etc and in other ways> change the state of GIMP are in a different category and are valid.> But these plug-ins should not care about the datas bit-depth). We> might need a way to specify GUIs / dialogs for GEGL operations but I> do not see how GIMP plug-ins should need to deal with higher bit-depth> data.
As a way to migrate plug-ins, we could add a plug-in API to libgimp thatallows plug-ins to do their pixel manipulation in terms of GEGL API.That would turn plug-ins into a GEGL operation that uses the GIMPplug-in infrastructure for registration and for the user interface.

Sven