Re: the symbol for inch can be ' ?

* Daniel Hornung <daniel.hornung@xxxxxx> [11-18-08 09:59]:

> Indeed, wikipedia says it's the double prime symbol:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inch
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_(symbol)
> http://www.isthisthingon.org/unicode/index.php?page=02&subpage=0&glyph=02033
>
> which is different from quotation marks. I don't know if that plays a role
> here though :)

Although I have seen the "double prime" used to denote "inch"
measurement, that usage has been so rare as to approach non-existence.
The double "quotation" mark more recognizable, less mis-understood and
almost universally used, to the point that "double prime" could be
mis-understood and appear to be in error.

It is my humble opinion that the double quotation mark should be
utilized.