Re: Better grouping of layer modes

On Tuesday 04 November 2008, David Gowers wrote:> Hi vabijou,>> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:21 AM, vabijou2 <vabijou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > peter sikking wrote:> >> the only thing I would change is to swap the order of Grain merge and> >> Grain extract. simply because it is explained as a workflow in that> >> order in the manual.> >> > I would also like to see a dynamically updated list at the top of the> > list that shows the last 3-5 used blend modes under a heading of> > "Recent:".  This may be outside the scope of the OP's original> > suggestion, but for many users there are a select few modes that are used> > frequently, and having to dig through a long list slows things down.>> I am such a user, and I say: This is a change I do not want, it would> reduce my working speed further.> This is because of the way recently-accessed lists work -- the most> recent is at the top. This means unless I am constantly selecting> *the* most recent (instead of eg. 2nd most recent), where I have to> click to achieve the same result changes, because my choice reorders> the list.>> In conjunction with locking functionality (so that your later choices> no longer change the order or content of the recent-list), this could> be effective. I would honestly like similar locking functionality for> the recent-filters-list .. the constant disordering is just so> confusing and slow that I usually find it faster to select from the> original menu path.. which defeats the purpose.

David, as far as filters are concerned, I'd strongly, and that means __strongly__, suggest you to use keyboard shrotcuts to get to your filters. Yes,  stopping ytour work to configure keyboard shortcuts is a major pita, and that is why most people donṫ do it in any software, even knowing it is possible. However, GIMP has setup a unique feature that was once available to all GTK+ applications: dynamic keyboard shortcuts. Just enable these once in preferences, and you will never again have to selct a single filter in the thrid menu level more than once. The tooltip on the edit->preferences->interface option that enable these shortcuts is self explanatory.
As for layer combination modes...Martin, is there any clean way of allowiyng setting keyboard shortcuts to layer combiantion modes? That ḋ be a nice feature to have.

	js	-><-