Recording user actions

This has been discussed somewhat in the very distant past. The last
discussion ended with the verdict that recording user actions (and
playing then back later) would not be possible without rewriting the
Gimp core. So now that things are moving to GEGL, I'd like to resurrect
this feature request. From what I remember back in photoshop 6, one
could pretty much push a button and record everything that is being done
on an image. Then, when a new image is opened, those actions are played
on it. With GEGL, would it be possible to do something like this (as
easy as just pressing a button, instead of learning a scripting
language)?