Re: GIMP 2.6.1 release ahead

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Martin Nordholts wrote:
Sven Neumann wrote:
* Making the toolbox (and the rest of the interface?) color neutral [1],
probably through a color neutral theme

That is the job for an artist, not a developer. You should try to get
Jimmac into the boat.

It would of course be nice if the whole icon set was adapted by an
artist to look good when color neutral, but I don't really see anyone
doing that very soon. There are two approaches that I think will
possible to get into 2.8 and they both somewhat involve programming:

1. Run the existing theme image elements through ImageMagick and make
them all greyscale, then compose the color neutral theme from that.

2. Support color neutrality for all themes, i.e. programatically make
icons color neutral and perhaps only color them when they are being
hovered by the mouse cursor.

If either of those will look good enough for being promoted to an
official stable release is another thing, but perhaps the initial effort
will attract graphical artists to help out.

If a goal is to support simple greyscale <-> color icons, James McNames published a Matlab script to generate a palette of colors that are linearly spaced along the luminance axis. The intention was to allow illustrations in publications to be colorized, while still retaining readability when printed in greyscale, but it may be useful here as a palette for the artists. I've attached an example 64-color palette; the script has several tweakable parameters, and should run in Octave as well.

Matlab script and paper:
  http://bsp.pdx.edu/Software/

Here's a related approach, although it doesn't span the color space quite as well in my opinion:
  http://blogs.mathworks.com/steve/2006/05/09/a-lab-based-uniform-color-scale/

Cheers,

-Brennan
GIMP Palette