Re: A Photographers View of Gimp 2.6

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 10:28 -0700, Stephen DeLear wrote:> Just some thoughts on Gimp in general and 2.6 in particular.
Some people have already replied, here are some more thoughts fromanother photogtrapher :D
> Layers:  Somebody has misplaced a box.  Where has the layers stack> window gone?  I can’t turn on the pane under either layers, image or> view. I can create a new layer but not see what layers are on the> image.
control-L will get the layers dialogue back (at least on Linux),or you can go to the Windows menu and it's under Dockable docks.By default it should be visible in one of the docks, though. > Save As: I don’t seem to be able to move up a level then down into a> new folder on a save as.
I think a LOT more details are needed here in order to help... forexample, which Linux distribution are you using, and which version ofgtk?
for me, I can do this -(1) control-shift-S (or File->Save AS)(2) Save Image appears(3) I can click on Browse for other folders(3) I see immediately under the Browse for other folders label I clicked    on,    < [lee] [eos] [2008-10-01-peterborough](4)  I can click on [eos] to go up to that directory.

> Unsharpen Mask:  The GEGL unsharpen mask feature does not use standard> terminology.  I have no idea how to set this.Youi'll have to experiment.  By "standard" do you mean that thereis an ISO specification for unsharp mask, or do you mean you wantthe labels to be the same as some piece of proprietary softwareor other, or that you want them to be the same asFilters->Enhance->Unsharp Mask?
In general, be specific with suggestions, e.g. "it might beclearer for people who grew up using other software if theterms were Amount and Radius rather thn Standard Deviation andScale", or "ISO 30196:2006 Terminology for Graphics" says thatthe terms should be Setting One and Setting Five; conformance withthis specification would help US Government adoption" :)
> General Wish List:

> Locate Center Point:
> Reviewing a 22MP image a 100% means navigating an image with an> equivalent size of several feet.  What would be nice is some way to> mark the exact center of the image, where the central AF point fell,> so that it can be quickly navigated to at 100%.
Middle-click on the middle of the horizontal scrollbar, and againon the middle of the vertical scrollbar, and that will get you roughlythe the middle of the image.  I don't know which camera you're using,but mine has multiple AF points, and I can use a wheel to choose whichone is active; it's conceivable to me that a plugin could be written toextract this information from the EXIF data (it's probably different forCanon, Olympus, Nikon, Pentax, Mamiya, Phase One, etc) and take you tothe point or points that the camera thought were in focus.
 > Scale to File Size: Many stock sites require an image to be upsized.> For example Alamy requires an uncompressed file size of 48megs from a> file saved as a 8bit .JPG.  It would be useful to be able to set in an> uncompressed file size and have the GIMP resize to be exactly that> size.
I find with Alamy the limit is that your compressed file must beno larger than 25 MBytes.  So I use Save As, choose JPG, and thenturn on the image preview, and adjust (s l o w l y) the settingsuntil I get just under 25 MBytes.  If your image is too large or toosmall, the upload applet will flag an erorr.
But there are multiple parameters you can tweak, so it's not clear tome how this could be automated.  For example, sometimes I think I canget away with reducing the quality and increasing Smoothing to reducethe artefacts, and sometimes I need to use 1x1,1x1,1x1 subsampling topreserve reds.

> View at Simulated Output, 150, 300 or 500 DPI
What would this do technically, exactly?

> High Dynamic Range Imaging: Which will require greater then 8bit> color.You can actually do HDR work with GIMp today.  However, more-than-8-bitcolour is in progress; it's a large amount of engineering, and is notyet complete.

> Color Palettes: Digital Cameras tend to output in only a couple of> color palettes.  Alien Skins Exposure 2 plug in can simulate a number> of old film palettes.  It would be nice to be able to do in the open> source world (patents allowing).  At least from Kodak, datasheets> including gamma curves of every film they’ve ever made are online> (RG25 FTW).GIMP's colour pallette support is currently mostly designed for indexedimage formats such as GIF.  But it would certainly be possible to writea plugin to say, "Change image A to use only the colours from image B";ImageMagick supports this operation today.  You could also experimentwith Colours->Sample Colourise (or it might be called Colors->SampleColorize, depending on where you live).

> Noise Reduction:
One approach here is to scale the image up, e.g. 300%, then do a blur,then scale down again (use Cubic to avoid exaggerating noise artefacts)and then use Sharpen (not unsharp).
With some cameras this may work best if you use colours->decompose, andthen blur only one of the resulting layers, and then recombine; I find aselective gaussian blur can work well.
There are quite a few noise plugins floating around, but I haven't sofar found any better than scale up, blur, scale down.
Hope this helps.  Good luck with Alamy :-)
Liam
-- Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org