Re: Transparency in transform tools

> (hiding the original layer during the operation is possible, but
> because of the simplicity of the preview rendering, the preview may
> look much different that you'd expect.)

Probably this should be discussed a little bit more. There's a
particular situation where having an opaque original makes very hard to
use a transform tool: when you paste a layer that is bigger than the
image area and you have to scale it down to a desired size.
You simply can't see the background because the opaque original is in
front, so you can't apply the transformation with precision.
The same applies when you have to rotate an element to match an angle of
something that is behind the layer that you want to transform.
I can think of a couple more of examples where this situation makes very
hard to work.
There's a workaround, that is lowering the original layer opacity then
transforming, but it's not very handy (you have to do that and then
remember to raise the opacity after you apply each transformation).
This makes working with transformations quite slow and tedious.
If it's possible to directly hide the original, I'd prefer that option
until the GEGL porting of the display code is ready, even knowing that
the transformation proxy isn't very accurate.
I'd like to know how other users feel about this.

Gez.