Re: Font are small of tool-box in gimp 2.5.4

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Choi, JiHui wrote:
>> Hi, Sven
>>
>> Now I know. But in some environments, it's not convenient.
>> If your system supports cleartype fonts, it may be good, but if not
>> and you use non-english, it'll be very bad. I think this matter is a
>> big problem enough to give up to use GIMP.
>
> Hi,
>
> It's impossible to please everybody, and fonts antialiasing is
> mainstream these days, working fine on most systems.
Font antialiasing is not sane in some circumstances -- it simply blurs
the glyphs in these cases. For example, complex characters as shown in
Choi's screenshot. if there is SIGNIFICANT detail in antialiasing,
then the font is too small. if there is NOT significant detail in
antialiasing, the font should also look ok without antialiasing.

I would also argue that turning off antialiasing makes virtually
everything more readable, even when the glyphs are simple.

Anyway!

The appropriate solution to this may be to package a simple alternate
theme which makes the offending fonts larger, and install this theme
if the language might require it (eg Japanese, Chinese, Korean)

David