Re: concurrent 2.4 and 2.5

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:42:18 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 11:26 +0200, gg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I have installed distribution's 2.4 and cvs . I built cvs with
>> --preifix=/usr/local but there is some conflict with 2.4 which refuses
>> run having detected the conflicting library versions.
>
> http://gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.5.html mentions quite explicitly
> that this is not going to work. /usr/local is not a separate
> installation prefix.
>

> Sven

Well that's probably the cause of the confusion, it does not _explicitly_
say " a separate prefix not in the system PATH" which would appear to be
the key criterium. Separate presumes separatation from something that is
not specified. I took it to mean separate from gimp-2.4 installation since
that was subject.

/usr/local is a "separate" prefix from /usr and is separate from where
gimp-2.4 is installed. The problem seems to result from this separate
prefix being in PATH.
README says this:

If you want to keep your
older GIMP 2.x installation in parallel to GIMP 2.5, you have to
choose a separate prefix which is not in your default library search
path.

This is also somewhat confusing in that it seems to refer to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

That's all probably obvious once you know but then the instructions are
not for those who know. Maybe they could be 'explicit'.

Now I have just let autogen.sh do it's default /opt/gimp and it's fine.

The UI improvements are starting make Gimp a lot easier to work with and
to discover. Excellent progress on that.

Thanks Sven, Mitch, Owen.... and all those who replied.

--

   .*.
   /V\