Re: Script proposed for inclusion in gimp 2.6

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 15:51 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:

> > I might be wrong, but it appears to me that everything that "Apply
> > Image" does can be done using layers. It's just another way of using
> > layer modes and it seems quite akward to use an extra dialog for that.
>
> Except for one thing: layers don't print out as solid.

As far as I can see the result of "Apply Image" is a layer.

> I'm not suggesting that this be implemented anytime soon - but it
> would be nice to have better channel mixing abilities once GIMP is
> using GEGL for composition...

Now we are getting to a point. So your post is not actually about "Apply
Image", but about missing channel mixing abilities. It would help if you
could point out exactly what it is that you can't do in GIMP. Otherwise
we will never enhance the channel mixing abilities, using GEGL or not.

As far as I can see the point you are trying to make is that GIMP
doesn't allow you to use channels for layer blend operations. I've tried
to reproduce your example using channels and layers and indeed it
appears impossible. I can easily copy a spot channel to a new layer by
dragging it from the channels to the layers dialog, but the result will
be the grayscale channel. Perhaps it would help if we would change that
so it creates an RGBA layer that represents the spot channel. This layer
would be filled with the channel spot color and the grayscale mask of
the channel would be transferred to the layers' alpha channel. Does that
make any sense? Would such a change break other workflows?

Sven