Re: seeking thoughts on a crash that I caused, and more general question about message passing

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 10:12 -0400, David Merrill wrote:

> The more general question that I have is the following: If I want to
> route control messages to and from a Python interpreter that I
> instantiate in the GIMP, what would be the most elegant way to run
> this interpreter and to route messages? (this is for dynamically
> controlling the UI - for instance, to make my hardware control the
> aforementioned sliders, so I don't think I can use the same Python
> architecture that does plugins). Is there a general message-passing
> system that I could hook into? Where should I look, to get started?

Since you want to control the GUI, you probably want to look at the
accessibility framework of GTK+. There are Python bindings for this, for
example dogtail (http://people.redhat.com/zcerza/dogtail/).

Since this is not at all GIMP related, but purely a GTK+ question,
perhaps you want to ask further questions about this on the a11y mailing
lists.

Sven