Re: need help with bug #464466 (downscaling quality)

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 09:19 +0930, David Gowers wrote:

> Personally I think the test is being run under flawed conditions
> (using nonlinear sRGB rather than linear RGB, which produces errors of
> up to 50% because interpolation is done linearly despite the
> colorspace being nonlinear.). However, those are the conditions the
> user is predominantly working under.
> I'm considering doing a separate test run where I first convert to
> linear RGB and finally convert back to sRGB.

Please don't overdo it. All we need to know at this point is that the
patch is an improvement. It doesn't have to solve all problems, it just
needs to provide a somewhat better result than the old code.

Processing in linear space will happen automatically as soon as we
switch all processing to GEGL. We are not going to make the legacy code
even more complex than it already is. So please don't waste your time on
this.

Sven