Re: Image color representation?

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:07:32 +0200, David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi solar,
>
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:32 PM,  <solar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:02:01 +0200, David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> and is no longer required in today's
>>> world of fast CPUs with fast FSBs, large memory, and huge hard drives.
>>

>> Easy on the sweeping assumptions here. Embedded systems are in
>> exponential
>> growth right now and correspond in performance to what you are quickly
>> writing off as old and decrepid hardware that is best ignored.
>>
>> Many embedded systems are reaching a power that allows them to be used
>> for
>> image and even video (CCTV) applications. It's unlikely, though not
>> impossible, that you'd use such a system for GUI image manipulation but
>> Gimp
>> could conceivably be useful here for batch processing images or other
>> tasks.
>>
>> Be careful not to assume all target systems are like your average
>> desktop
>> PC.
> GIMP doesn't run on embedded systems AFAIK (mainly because of its
> minimum screen resolution requirements.)
> In any case, what you said above is true and unrelated.  GEGL seems a
> much better choice for batch manip generally, however even if you
> would use GIMP, nothing would force you to use high bitdepths..  GEGL
> allows you to make different versions of an operation for different
> data types / colorspaces, so you would perhaps need to make
> 8bit-optimized versions (more likely, GIMP would implement these
> itself already, since it's a common data type). The difference is that
> GIMP needn't make that assumption, and thus the overall application is
> more flexible, accommodating different color spaces and color depths
> in the one application transparently.
>
> In short: optimization reflects an underlying assumption, and the
> assumption that 8bit is the only efficient choice is no longer true,
> therefore the optimization of assuming 8bit is no longer appropriate.
>

> David

Hi, thanks for the reply.

IIRC the original comment here was about removal of a structure used for
storing 8 bit colours. Maybe that structure should be maintained as a
build option.

I agree about assumptions. My concern was that the assumption does not
become:

>> and is no longer required in today's
>> world of fast CPUs with fast FSBs, large memory, and huge hard drives.

today's world is much broader than intel based PCs.

regards.