Re: Gimp default brush set contest

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 10:27:41PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 13:10 +0300, Alexia Death wrote:
> > Valerie wrote:
> >  > The other half is that with brush resize in tool options now
> >  > (where everybody can see it), even "non-editable" round brushes
> >  > can be rescaled, which means the default distribution should
> >  > have not 10 round brushes, but 1 (same with fuzzy brushes
> >  > and maybe calligraphy).
> > I wholly agree. Those un-editable round brushes are constantly in the
> > way. Instead having a nice set of different(square, star, calligraphy
> > etc) parametric brushes that are editable from the start would make much
> > more sense.
>
> Note that these brushes are editable. They are just read-only because
> they are in the system folder. As soon as you copy them, they can be
> edited. Having them read-only ensures that scripts can rely on them
> being available in their original size and shape.
>
> We need to somehow find a solution for this if we want to change the
> default brushes. Scripts probably need a way to specify the brush size
> and shape that they want to use instead of using a brush name.

I've made silly suggestions before, but allow me to try again.

How about new brushes that take a parameter. Wether they are invoked
with a different keyword, or just by the new name I dont' know which
is easier.

Brushes like the default round ones should become aliases that are
specified in a global brush-alias file.

So the systemwide, default brush-alias file specifies among others:

	17circle circle(17)

so "circle" is the NEW name of the parametrized brush that has one
parameter (in this case "17").

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **