Re: Gimp default brush set contest

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 00:30 -0700, Valerie wrote:

> The other half is that with brush resize in tool options now
> (where everybody can see it), even "non-editable" round brushes
> can be rescaled, which means the default distribution should
> have not 10 round brushes, but 1 (same with fuzzy brushes
> and maybe calligraphy).

I strongly disagree. It is a lot more convenient to pick a brush of the
right size from a list of brushes than to always scale the brush.

Also we simply can't remove the standard brushes because that would
break lots of scripts. As long as there's no way to resize brushes from
scripts, we have to keep the standard brushes with their names. Perhaps
we can try to improve this for the 2.8 release.

> The advantage of a good default is a good first-time impression,
> and offering greater out-of-the-box functionality to those who
> don't know better.

Sure, that's why we keep asking for someone to improve the collection of
default brushes collection in GIMP for some years now. So far there
hasn't been much interest. We also don't have a maintainer for the
gimp-data-extras package.

Sven