Image color representation?

Hi!
I am wondering which data type GIMP uses to represent the color in a pixelof an image? 8 bits/channel? 12 or 16 bits? float?
According tohttp://pippin.gimp.org/image_processing/chap_dir.html#id2525344, there seemsto be some different representation types, but glaus is somewhat unknown tome, though.
I’m having a bit of trouble myself deciding which type I should have in theprogram I’m going to make, to use for each channel. If I use 8 bits perchannel, the different functions will probably run a bit faster than if Iuse floating point values.
If you should, by chance, use floating point representation of the colors,is there some function in GIMP to read a jpg image directly into an imagewith floats, instead of using some function already existing to read it intoan image with 24-bit color and then convert it to floating point values?