Re: Question about how Gimp displays multiple layers

Hello. I cannot address the issue of widgets. Anyway GIMP does not use
widgets to display individual layers, only the final composition,
app/display holds the code IIRC(quite a bit of code -- someone else
might be able to narrow it down further.).
The image is composited and THEN displayed (in one widget). With this
sort of display there really is no reason to try to be clever by doing
things as confusing as you described. You just need to do the
composition (GDK will help you with that) and display the relevant
area of it in an expose handler for your display widget.

In short, this reminds me of when I used to make more work for myself
by being clever about finding ways to reduce the work I needed to do.
Do things the plain way first, try to be clever later if it doesn't
work well enough, OK?