Re: Feature idea for GSoC - Separate+ Plugin integration.

Hi Guillermo,

On Mon 24 Mar 2008 14:01:00 Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 13:34 -0300, Guillermo Espertino wrote:
> > First of all, sorry if this is the wrong place or moment to post this.
> > II think that integrating the separate+ plugin to Gimp would be a great
> > GSoC project.
>
> Doesn't sound like it would be worth making this a GSoC project. In
> particular because that would mean that it would definitely not make it
> into GIMP 2.6.
>
> As far as I can see all that is needed for integration of the seperate+
> plug-in is someone who volunteers to review the code and the user
> interface and to propose it for inclusion on this list. As we wanted to
> have this plug-in in 2.4 already, I wonder why this has still not
> happened yet.

So, adding on to this  - while only reviewing the code and the UI might be
much less than expected for a whoe GSoC project, I perceive this as a
valuable idea.

Maybe adding to this review the implementation of some, or even more,
of the features suggested could do for a Google Summer of Code.

Guillermo, I would encourage you towards formalizing this application -
try to summarize objectively what exists today and what do you plan to
implement. Also, try some "guestimates"  on a time frame for completing
each task.

The idea, bellow, of integrating it to the GIMP TIFF save plug-in is great and
would make it really feel like part of GIMP. So, take a look at GIMP's TIff
plug-in and giver your say on it.

And of course, the separate plug-in should take into account ICC color profile
magement, as implemented in the GIMP core (I reall don't know if it aready
does that).

And least - have in mind that the chances of approval depend very much on a
favorable review of your proposal by the GIMP developers. You got  some
critics on your first e-mail,  and some ideas as well. So use those in your
favor and come up with a propose everyone here should like.

regards,
	js
	-><-