gsoc project

Hi everyone,
My name is Rafael,  I am an Brazilian student of Computer Engineering from Universidade de Pernambuco and about one year ago i have been studying image processing, so i become interested in working  in an gimp project.
People usually want to process image for specifics reasons : noise extractions, signatures analysis, historic documents analysis, activation areas detection from an human brain studies, and for so many other reasons.  In addition to this, those images can be of n different types. My general idea is to make a plugin to help people doing new Filters, for their specific reasons, without the need of writing new code. The idea consists on creating those filters from basic Morphologic Operators (dilate, erode, opening, closing and morphological gradient) and , in the future, creating new filters based on other filters (combining them).
I know that gimp already works with Dilate and Erode operations, but it does not give the possibility  of creating new structuring elements for those operands (dilating an image with a cross 13x13 can be much better than doing it with a circle 3x3, depending on the user�s need) and neither  of combining them with other operations.
There is something similar to what  i want to do, in an ImageJ Plugin (

http://svg.dmi.unict.it/iplab/imagej/Plugins/Morphological%20Operators/Morphological%20Operators/MorphologicalOperatorsPlugin.htm - here you can see an image from the interface of Morphological Operators plugin that can help you to understand my idea). I usually work with this tool and i think it is very useful, but it can`t save operators made by user to combine them with other operations in the future.

Well, i am waiting a feedback from you. Suggestions/Critics ? is this idea interesting/relevant for gimp ?

you can found me on #gimp -> Galva and msn -> rgalvaomesquita@xxxxxxx.

Thank you very much for your attention :),

Rafael