Re: GIMP to adopt this scripts

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:43 AM, David G. <allenskd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Alexia Death-2 wrote:
>  >
>  > I do not think gimp needs to come with extra stuff by default. There is
>  > more
>  > than enough already... What gimp needs is a quick drag-and-drop way
>  > to "install" extras in packs. I have a script that I haven't put into
>  > release
>  > because it needs certain patterns to be installed too... And theres no way
>  > I
>  > can make that happen without some pain to users.
>  >
>  >

>  Sorry but I don't agree with that. I think GIMP should be more of a 'out of
>  a box' term than just worrying about sizes and things that could be taken
>  care of fast. I'm not saying that GIMP developers should choose the whole
GIMP already has too much stuff; I've been using it for years, I like
to experiment, and 50% of the filters I still don't use, ever.. not
because they're not useful, but because it is too difficult to choose
from the vast array of filters.
Adding more filters would just increase my confusion. First we need a
better way to organize filters..
GEGL can help with that (it has a concept of 'operation categories',
essentially like tags.)

>  project and integrate the scripts because that would make a big mess, but
>  common things like Inner Glow , gradient overlay and so on are things that
>  are used pretty much in every graphic.
I have to say: 'gradient map' is the only one of those 'layer effects'
I'm likely to ever use personally.

>  Although, now I was looking at gegl and wonder if this should be implemented
>  there instead of using it as a script.
This is a smarter idea.. with GEGL, disabling or enabling individual
ops would be far more natural and straightforward, which allows a
person to choose from a reasonable subset of available filters.

Another smart way of accessing filters, is seen in the GEGL editor,
where you can get autocompletion for operation names. If this was more
like a 'particle search' (like, when you type foo, the matching of
candidates is based on *foo* so foo can appear anywhere in the
candidate name)

>  There is of course a lot of things GIMP comes with, and there isn't much a
>  'propaganda' about the use of plugins and script-fus. It really worries me
>  because I don't think its fair that new users who don't know anything about
>  open source software, linux and so on--will just have to sit down and wait
>  and see if it happens.
www.gimptalk.com has a number of tutorials, they could cover more
things, I think they do a good job.
In the help, we should link to these sorts of sites if we do not
already... And it would be smart to approach the authors of mature
tutorials about including their work in the GIMP manual.
Eventually we could have a number of tutorials incorporated which
cover common tasks.

>  I really admire the effors you have put into GIMP FX Foundry, but as long as
>  the general public remains unaware of these things it will lead more users
>  having the wrong opinion of the GIMP.

I think we could make it easier to install these things, and that's
where to start. With a little app that provides a DnD area for
brushes, gradients, plugins, patterns, scripts, and allows either a
ZIP of the relevant resource type to be dropped there or just a single
item of the appropriate type. Clicking on each button should show the
contents (recursively, like an archive manager does) and allow you to
remove them.

Easy installation of resources has been an issue on the table with the
GIMP team for some time, They can't work out everything, so if you
want to promote GIMP's capabilities, writing such an app, with input
from the GIMP team, would be a good place to start