Re: ‘no image’ window: progress...

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 05:38 -0400,
saulgoode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think the goal of making the Toolbox a utility window or dock should
> be addressed directly as an overall goal (THE overall goal?). That
> would seem the main point of this exercise. Removing the menubar from
> the Toolbox in and of itself would hardly seem worth all the
> discussion and effort that has gone into this.

It is the goal. However, how well this will actually work with all the
different window managers out there, remains to be seen.

> With regard to the window closure behavior, I don't see the benefit in
> having the closing of the last image forcing a resize of its window.
> Once I have placed my windows into a desirable desktop arrangement, I
> really shouldn't want GIMP to automagically reconfigure things just
> because I don't have an image open.

I agree with that. IMO, the less resizing, the better. But perhaps this
is something we need to try and refine later. Let's first implement what
Peter suggested and see how well it works.

> Even upon opening a new no-image instance of GIMP, I am hoping that
> using the last size and location of the window from the previous
> session would be offered as a option (in Preferences), rather than
> having that dynamically chosen. (Presumably the size and location of
> the image window from which GIMP was quit in the previous session
> would have been saved.)

Yes, I think I would also like such behavior.

Sven