Re: no-image-open redux

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 04:02:40 +0100, William Skaggs
<weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Also for what it's worth, I've been a bit worried about including a
> toolbar
> like the one I showed, precisely because users who find it useful would
> want to have it available even after an image has been opened.

Hi,

that worry could be got around by doing just that , make it available.
Right-click : remove toolbar for those who find it superfluous and want to
recover the land rights.

Opera , for example , has miriad panels and bars available with a
resonalbe subset on by default (most of which I bin rapidly to get things
the way I like to work). This config is maintained next time I use it and
gives me exactly the layout I find efficient for my work load and way of
doing things.

Right-click on any toolbar or panel gives acces to a global "configure
toolbars" situation.

Another useful feature in Opera setup is "make everything visible" while
selecting the elements you need. This is a horrible clutter (since this is
not a work mode) and allows you to see all that is available and keep the
bits you need and avoids clicking things on and off to find out what they
are called.

I think Opera's solution is a good example of presenting a very complex
set of tools, panels and windows that cater for many different user
senarios whilst maintaining almost complete flexibility of screen layout.

Since Gimp UI is similarly a constant challenge of screen space vs
function accessibility Opera setup may provide some useful ideas.

/gg

--

   .*.
   /V\